for the love of citrus fruit
I love citrus fruit, for their uplifting aroma as much as their rich vitamin C content, but most of all, for making my food so much tastier. I use the orange and lemon juice in meat marinades prior to roasting and in salad dressings alike. I love nibbling on little wedges of fruit, be it orange, grapefruit or tangerine. And what do you do with all the peel? Well, you could make tangerine truffles!
I chose tangerine truffles as my last post for the Vima Gourmet foodblog awards competition, it is about re-using. I have been meddling and retouching yesterday’s dishes in a couple of ways. I came up with some lovely patties for chickpea burger. I used just one ingredient, filo pastry, and made a leek pie and kourkoubinia, a savoury and a sweet dish, ideal for brunch. I mashed my beans soup a few days back and complemented it with spetsofai, making a very Greek sausage and mash.
After the triptych pie, burger, mash I thought we needed something sweet too! Truffles! Here is what you will need:
Ingredients (it makes appr. 35-40)
- 5 small tangerines, for their peel (and juice)
- 180 gr ground almonds
- 180 gr icing sugar
- 60 ml tangerine juice
- 60 ml cognac
What to do:
- Boil the tangerine peels in two cups of water until they soften (10-15 min).
- Put in a blender and mix until you get a rough purée.
- In a bowl, mix the ground almonds, tangerine peel purée, icing sugar and tangerine juice.
- Leave the mix in the fridge to set for about an hour.
- Put the cognac in a small bowl, dip your fingers in it and start shaping small truffles.
So, this is the last of posts for the challenges of the Vima food blog awards competition. If you have voted, many many thanks!
If you haven’t please do so now, click here
I really hope you have been enjoying this series of posts where I re-heated yesterday’s dishes. Do you have any tricks and tips for re-using leftovers? Please feel free to share below in the comments.
from Athens with love,
UPDATE: The competition has ended – thanks for following through, check my last competition post here.by