Bliss is best found in those tiny little moments we tend to ignore as we rush to the next thing. Having come back to Athens after some years abroad, I feel half tourist, half at home. Life is busy and old things sometimes feel so new. I was browsing through the many photos my iPad contains and here are a few that brought up the warm fuzzy feeling that tells you life is good. I managed to limit myself to five little blissful moments. They come complete with their stories too. So, here we go:
1. I was walking back to the metro after a trip to the dentist. Not quite my favourite thing to be honest, I was in a bit of a mood, but as I lifted my head up in the bitterly cold morning, this is what I saw:
The Parthenon, standing tall, watching over the city and who am I to complain about a trip to dentist?
2. I have to admit I am a dog person. I grew up with dogs and every time I see a stick I feel like running along to catch it myself! I certainly share their naivety but then here I am, carrying bags from the supermarket back home, stopping on a bench to rearrange the hefty load. When this little thing comes along:
Meowing incessantly, it climbed onto the bench with me and left paws all over the iPad. Cats being friendly? who would have thought of that? I didn’t know what to do with the kitty, I just went along with the strokes!
3. Because nothing beats house chores when it comes to spoiling a day’s fun, I chose this photo:
As you can guess there are dozens of marinas along the southern coasts of Athens. This one is just 10 minutes walk from home. You get huge super-polished yachts sitting there, being all smug and sparkling, but you can turn around to see this tiny little boat with clean laundry perfectly arranged, drying on a gentle breeze. Bliss! I think I am going to print this one and hang it above my washing machine.
4. Of course dessert. I am currently boiling these little fruits, making preserve. It’s a bitter orange, classic Greek-style spoon sweet and the smell in the house is better than the buds of a blossoming tree:
The recipe for neratzi/bitter orange should come up in the next couple of days.
5. And finally the blossoming tree, because spring is on its way:
Spring is certainly on its way, no matter how tall the buildings towering over these blossoms.
Hope this left a cheeky smile on your face. Do you have any blissful moments to share? Tiny precious scenes as you walk to work or about town? I am pretty sure you do, so please feel free to share your links and comments.by
2 thoughts on “Little blissful moments”
You are five-for-five today, Eugenia. My favorite is the last. I enjoy the different angle. And I am rooting for spring.
Thanks Mark! I love the tiny blossoms, not too long until spring kicks in 🙂