Misty autumn weather calls for hearty soups: Fennel and celeriac soup, with parsley oil
Head straight to the recipe.
I tried this soup a few weeks back from a tiny kitchen close to the office, in East London. The lads and lassies behind the counter serve warm, fresh dishes and they are also in the good habit of using seasonal, local ingredients. There is a different soup on the menu every day, served with a thick, well buttered slice of sourdough bread from the artisan bakers that work at the side of their building. Their soup is a half-hour of heaven in the middle of a busy day.
Although I often complain that my experimentation time in the kitchen is more limited than I would like it to be, soups are the one thing I start to warm up on. Peel, chop and boil is hardly any hassle. As the broth bubbles and boils I just about manage to jot down the recipe and set up for a tiny photoshoot. Beware, there are many more soups coming. Meanwhile let’s get chopping for the nutty celeriac and sweet, liquorice like fennel concoction.
Fennel and celeriac soup, with parsley oil
- 1 medium fennel
- 1 medium celeriac
- 1 lt of good quality chicken stock
- 1 small yellow onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the parsley oil
- 15-20 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 1 small garlic clove
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Place a deep pot on the hob with a bit of olive oil and switch it on medium high heat.
- Roughly chop your onion and sauté.
- Get rid of the knobs of the celeriac root and roughly chop, quarter the fennel and add them both in the pot.
- Follow with the chicken broth, bring to the boil and lower to a simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until your vegetables are soft.
- Use a handheld blender to mash until smooth and creamy.
- For the parsley oil, mince the garlic clove and the parsley leaves and oil in a blender and you are ready to serve.
- If you don’t have parsley at hand worry not, you can garnish with the fennel leaves.
If you are hungry for soup there are plenty more under recipes> soups from the main menu or just click for my ten favourite Greek soups over here.
Do enjoy with a thick slice of bread!
From London with love,
2 thoughts on “Fennel and celeriac soup, with parsley oil”
Looks good I make a similar soup but add a pear when cooking and crumbled blue cheese at the end.
I think I know what my next version will be! Sounds lovely!