Heart warming food to beat cold weather
We got snow in Athens! When snow comes in Athens is not without excitement. Seeing dreamy snowflakes drop is indeed a rare occurrence. For no matter how cold Athens can get in winter, snow rarely sets in. It’s time for heart-warming, cold weather food. A Greek winter food top 10 it is!
1. Trahanas, sweet or sour, with tomato or without. A forerunner to pasta, very similar to porridge it will certainly keep your tummy full and warm you up.
2. Fasolada, our white bean soup, it’s our national food, as heart-warming as it gets.
3. If you make too much fasolada turn it into mash! Sausage and mash! Because let’s face it, there is nothing better than a velvety, thick mash topped with a spicy sausage.
4. Lamb fricase, not a soup in itself but the yummy broth is as good as soup.
5. Lentil soup, the Greek fakes is certainly one of my favourite dishes. I can smell the bayleaves already.
6. Youvarlakia, the winter meatballs with an egg-lemony sauce, aka avgolemono.
8. Fish soup, kakavia. Go to the fish monger, ask for the catch of the day, grab a few veggies and you are ready to go!
9. Black-eyed beans stew with greens. Again we are entering the realm of my personal favourites. Very quick to make, too good not to enjoy a second helping.
10. Youvetsi, put the stove on, a slow bake of beef in rich tomato sauce with pasta is all you need. Possibly Greek comfort food number 1.
I hope these ideas for wintery dishes will keep you warm and well nourished. It is definitely our of the most loved Greek winter dishes, but I am sure there are plenty more. What is your favourite winter recipe? Let me know in the comments.
From snowy Athens with love,