British summer comes with the promise of sunshine and a BBQ for the weekend and delivers a downpour or at best a fine mist and a drizzle. Fear not, there is always a quick, yummy oven alternative: vegetarian aubergine red pepper wraps with tahini yoghurt sauce.
Head straight to the recipe.
Have you ever woken up ready for a BBQ and got a drizzle instead? Well, it’s more than a rare incident up here, in the north. I don’t complain as much though; when we cannot set up a fire we can always switch on the oven.
Aubergines are a soft spot of mine; I love them grilled when weather allows and I often smoke then on the gas hob to give them a smokey feel when it doesn’t. This time I was in a rush to put a couple of things together, so I simply popped them in the oven. There is not much cosying up over an open fire but if you have friends over, I suggest you do the same.
What best to complement the aubergines with than a red pepper? It’s a favourite combo and it makes a great filling for wraps. Perfect for quick lunch or when stuck indoors with a hungry crowd. I also got a new dip that I absolutely love: tahini and yoghurt sauce. Whilst thick Greek yogurt could definitely do the trick in this wrap, this tahini sauce gives the aubergine and peppers an extra edge.
Aubergine red pepper wraps with tahini yogurt sauce
- 2 large aubergines
- 1 red pepper
- Sesame seeds
- 5-6 spring onions
- Olive oil
- 1 pack of Deli Kitchen Greek style flat breads
- Tahini yogurt sauce
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 large lemon
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- A bit of water
- 250 gr yoghurt
- Preheat the oven at 180C and prepare your aubergines. Instead of slicing them, I roughly cut the aubergines in halves and then 3-4 long strips approximately 2 cm thick. Spray them with a bit of olive oil and place in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- For the peppers, cut off the top and clean off the seeds, then cut in long narrow bands. I added them for 5-10 minutes in the oven just as the aubergines were getting ready.
- For the yoghurt tahini sauce, start with the tahini and garlic. In a small bowl, spoon in the tahini, the pressed garlic clove, a pinch of salt and whisk together. Then start adding lemon juice. I had a large very juicy lemon so quantities can never be accurate, it is one of these dips that comes together with a lot of tasting and a bit of whisking, please do follow your tastebuds.
- When happy with the acidity, add a bit of olive oil to sweeten it. It will turn into a thick paste, pale white in colour. If too thick, a spoonful of water will perfect texture. Add a bit more of olive oil if you find the flavours too strong, normally the paste is quite strong tasting and it all balances out with the yoghurt. Once happy, add in the yogurt and mix well.
- To serve, simply warm up a fluffy Greek style flatbread, a spoonful of tahini yogurt sauce, the aubergines and peppers and sprinkle with some spring onion and sesame seeds.
Admittedly, this vegetarian wrap is on top of the list of quick favourite dishes. Do you have a favourite veggie wrap? Or you stick to the good old souvlaki? Do let me know in the comments below
From London with love,
PS: This is a sponsored post, I thoroughly enjoy DeliKitchen Greek style flat-breads and I wouldn’t share anything I don’t love and wholeheartedly recommend for you.by